Saturday, August 8, 2026

Slice of P.I.: “Steel Guitar”

(Part of a series celebrating fictional private eyes.)



Steel Guitar, by Linda Barnes (Delacorte, 1991). This is the fourth entry in Barnes’ series starring Boston shamus Carlotta Carlyle. Single, red-headed, six feet tall, and with a habitually grumpy cat, Thomas C. Carlyle, under whose name much of her mail is received, Carlyle also happens to be a former Beantown cop, a current part-time cab driver, and the guardian of a young Hispanic “little sister” named Paolina Fuentes. In short, she’s no pushover. I really enjoyed these books, the first of which was the Edgar Award-winning A Trouble of Fools (1987). So I was sorry when their run ended with 2009’s Lie Down with the Devil.

Cover illustration by Robert Santora, who in more recent years has become active in efforts to protect artists’ work from being improperly manipuled by artificial intelligence.

No comments: