Thursday, April 28, 2022

Entertainments Elsewhere

Sorry for the notable recent silence on this page, but I have a good excuse. As I explained in The Rap Sheet, just over a month ago I took a bad fall, leaving me with a concussion exacerbated by a subdural hematoma. My recovery was slow, but steady, and left me unable for a long time to sit in front of my computer and write much. Only recently have I started to catch up a bit with editorial obligations, though I still have much more to accomplish in the short term.

I am working on an extended project for Killer Covers, which should roll out soon. Meanwhile, here are a few links worth mentioning.

• In Dark City Underground, Ben Boulden recalls all 21 of John D. MacDonald’s renowned Travis McGee novels, using book covers.

• In her Euro Crime blog, Karen Meek this month recalled the 110th anniversary of the British ocean liner Titanic’s sinking with a selection of novels in which that tragedy is featured. There are so many more examples she might have cited.

• Amid Russia’s recent saber-rattling about the use of nuclear weapons in Eastern Europe, I recalled Pulp International’s 2017 display of “mid-century book covers featuring nuclear explosions.”

• And do you remember “stepback covers”? As the blog Sweet Savage Flame explains, they were also known as “tip-ins”—slick pages inserted into paperback books after the binding process, which helped create a secondary artistic spread behind the front cover. Tip-ins were frequently used in late-29th-century genre fiction (especially romance novels), allowing “the respectable-looking outer portion of the cover [to hide] the more ‘lurid’ illustration beneath.” Part I of Sweet Save Flame’s history of stepbacks can be found here, with links to the full series at the bottom of that post.

3 comments:

Robert Deis (aka "SubtropicBob") said...

Glad you're recovering. Love you posts, sir!

Florence Harding said...

Hope your recovery goes well. Nice to see you back!

Evil Woman Blues said...

Thanks for the update. I check your site out every morning and was wondering what happened. Be well.