Thursday, May 30, 2019

The Rising Cost of Dying


One for the Money, by Elliott Chaze (Berkley Medallion, 1962), originally titled Black Wings Has My Angel; cover art by Charles Copeland. Two for the Money, by Max Allan Collins (Hard Case Crime, 2004); cover illustration by Mark Texeira.


Three for the Money, by “Joe Barry,” aka Joe Barry Lake (Quinn Publishing/Handi-Book Mystery, 1950), the one and only novel featuring Chicago private eye Bill August; cover painting reportedly by Ernest Chiriacka. Four for the Money, by Dan J. Marlowe (Fawcett Gold Medal, 1966); cover artist unidentified.

2 comments:

Sam said...

Great covers, nicely presented. Thanks.

Max Allan Collins said...

I dislike the cover to TWO FOR THE MONEY, which is a combined reprint of BAIT MONEY and BLOOD MONEY, my first two published books. It's about the only Hard Case Crime cover I've ever seen that I don't like. The other Nolans (and a new as yet unwritten one) will be coming out from HCC with terrific covers.