Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Bennett’s Beauties: “The Intruder”

Part of a month-long celebration of Harry Bennett’s artistic skills.


The Intruder, by Charles Beaumont (Dell, 1962). Beaumont’s yarn was made into a film by director Roger Corman, starring future Star Trek captain William Shatner. “The story,” explains Wikipedia, “depicts the machinations of a racist named Adam Cramer (portrayed by Shatner), who arrives in the fictitious small southern town of Caxton in order to incite white townspeople to racial violence against black townspeople and court-ordered school integration.”

3 comments:

Art Taylor said...

I very much want this book. Not just for the great cover, but also for the story and subject matter. I did an essay a few years ago on Civil Rights Era mysteries, but haven't read this one. Need to add it to the list. Thanks!

J. Kingston Pierce said...

I'd like to read that essay of yours, Art. Can it still be found online somewhere?

Cheers,
Jeff

Art Taylor said...

Give me a couple of days and I'll get it posted on my own website. Heading off to give a Sherlock exam--and grading beyond!--but will gather it up and get it posted soon. Thanks for interest!