Thursday, September 24, 2015

The Importance of Backing Ernest


Floating Bedroom, by Seymour Shubin (Beacon, 1963). Ernest Chiriacka’s original artwork can be enjoyed here.

Over the years that I’ve been collecting vintage paperbacks and writing about them in Killer Covers, I have become a big fan of artist Ernest Chiriacka, who commonly signed himself “Darcy” on his work (but was actually born Anastassios Kyriakakos). His illustrations are included in a variety of this blog’s galleries, and are featured in several posts, such as this one, this one, this one, and this one, too. When Chiriacka died in April 2010, at age 96, I assembled a tribute to his artistry that showcased 15 of his exceptional book fronts.

But in the years since, my file of Darcy covers has expanded greatly. So I decided today to beef up that 2010 post, expanding the number of images to 55. That still doesn’t exhaust the array of Chiriacka’s book illustrations, but it puts a pretty decent dent in it. And I feel happy to once more celebrate this great painter’s efforts.

You will find the revised post here.

No comments: