Monday, February 9, 2015

Can I Trade Some Rain for Sunshine?



The renowned Mitchell Hooks painted covers for 18 Ross Macdonald novels during the 1970s, all of them Bantam paperback editions. I own a few of those, including Find a Victim, The Chill, and The Blue Hammer. However, I don’t have this 1977 Bantam release of The Way Some People Die, Macdonald’s third novel featuring Los Angeles private eye Lew Archer (originally published in 1951). Because the weather here in Seattle has been so dreary of late, this sunny Southern California cover just screamed out for my attention. It reminds me that summer is only five months away!

(To see another artist’s very different façade for The Way Some People Die, check out this first entry in Killer Covers’ sixth-anniversary series of posts.)

No comments: